Friday, August 6, 2010

Brief backstage update

Greetings! 
Thank you for all the great comments about the blog. :) 
Since my last post, I had acupuncture for the first time to try and heal this weird pain I had in my neck. A lot of friends in the cast suggested it to me because they love it. I must say, I really liked it too. I barely felt the needles and the range of motion in my neck afterwards was pretty much back to normal. Yay! 

"Snuggie Couture" Photo by Tanase Popa
At the theatre on Tuesday evening, I wasn't on for Glinda so I worked on a "Wicked" jigsaw puzzle in my dressing room. People have been contributing their skills to help me because it's so difficult and frustrating for even the greatest puzzle master to work on. I took a break from puzzling to have a spontaneous project runway competition with cast mate, Kevin Jordan. We had to create couture fashion from the animal print Snuggies in my dressing room. We had five minutes. Clearly, it was a tie.   

On Wednesday night, we celebrated a cast member's birthday at Smuggler's Cove….dressed as pirates. Arrgh! I went shopping for an outfit with some of my gal pals in the cast. We stopped into several eclectic and bizarre shops in the Haight district, which is sort of known as "hippyville," in San Francisco. I loved it and found great pirate/wench attire in one of the boutiques. 


"Libby the Pirate" Photo by Joe Dulude
I'm a huge fan of costume parties- I think I'm just a little too theatrical for life sometimes.  I've always been that way though. When I was a child, my neighbor donated an enormous box of vintage gowns and dance recital costumes to my little sister, Emily and I. Those costumes became a popular source of entertainment for the Servais sisters. We didn't really watch television but we loved parading around the neighborhood in our hoop skirt dresses. Slumber parties at our house were always fun too. Our friends would race to rummage through the costume box to find their outfit for the evening. We would have the giggliest times putting on talent shows for each other. I typically liked to wear a blue figure skater dress with feathers and then perform my improvised ice skating routine to Beethoven's, "Moonlight Sonata" for everyone in my living room.  It sounds silly now, but I was very serious about it then. haha! Thank goodness I found a career where I can wear costumes all the time! :) 

In fact….tonight, if Felicia and I are not on for our respective roles, we are going to have a "witch switch." In other words, I am going to Galindify her and she will be painting me GREEN! We're so excited.  I'm certain that she will be a lovely Glinda and I'm so psyched to be transformed into the unnaturally green girl! :)Yes, we will be documenting the entire evening. Stay tuned for pictures and blogging about this thrillifying backstage occurrence. Talk to you soon! xoxo

6 comments:

  1. Awesome cliffhanger Libby. Post Pics soon! I and everyone else are anxiously waiting!
    I love Smuggler's Cove with their awesome decorations. (Except they take waaay too long to make a drink and the old place, Jade, had way cheap Happy Hour drinks) Fun, fun place though. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Puzzles are fun but can be frustrating at times. My great-aunt and I will do puzzles during the winter whenever I visit. Always have liked doing them, even as a kid! ;)

    Have fun Galindifying Felicia tonight. (hopefully) Can't wait to see the pink girl in green! ;) Vicki Noon & Natalie Daradich did the same thing when they were in San Fran. ;) Now you get to see how much FUN it is to get the green off! ;) haha

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, you missed out on the Snuggie Bar Crawl in SF that took place in SF last year. I think Yelp.com put it on. You would've been a hit! Did you know they have Snuggies for dogs. The only thing my Boston Terrier wears is a bow tie.

    I have a couple puzzles in my closet. My ex and I used to do get 5000 pieces puzzles or so and do that after dinner instead of going out when we need to save money. We spent time together, listened to radio and chatted.

    Enjoy the switch-a-roo!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Between the "Snuggie Couture" and "Libby the Pirate", snuggies win hands down. I'm a fan of doing more with less. ;-)

    PS You were thinking of getting a dog awhile back. Did you get one?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Haight neighborhood for the shops and food. Love the blog and pics. Thanks for sharing. Hope u guys do more UN stuff before u all leave: (

    ReplyDelete
  6. ohhh sooo that's what the pirate stuff was for! :P heh.
    & i lovee the witch switch! hahah<3 you and felicia are so gorgeous!!! ;D

    ReplyDelete